As we reach the end of 2015 we thought it would be a great time to review some general training strategies that can lead to success, no matter what behavior you’re working on. Here are our Top 10 Training Tips!
Make Training Fun!
- Training should be fun for both you and your dog.
Get Everyone Involved
- Get the whole family involved in the training.
Identify Behaviors You Want Your Dog to Know
- Plan ahead – Sit, Down, Stays, Coming When Called?
Capture Good Behavior
- Reward behavior you like when you see your dog doing it.
Use Very Good Rewards
- Good food, toys, walks and access to fun all work great.
Keep It Simple In the Beginning
- Make it easy enough for your dog to get it right.
- Do 5 to 10 minute sessions four to five times a day.
Build on Your Dog’s Success as You Go
- Add new skills as your dog masters old ones.
Make Learning a Regular Part of Your Dog’s Life
- Dogs are smart and always need new things to learn.
Take a Training Class to Learn More!
Happy Training in 2016!